develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2001

Re: Making perl with -Wall

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
May 24, 2001 03:02
Re: Making perl with -Wall
Message ID:
20010524100231.685.3@dromedary.ni-s.u-net.com
Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> writes:
>I'm in the middle of trying to get a new 2.4 Linux kernel compiling
>(Linux/PPC, what a joy).  Everytime I do this I'm always struck by
>how much just explodes (like the NTFS drivers *sigh*) and at the
>copious quantities of warnings.
>
>Out of perverse curiousity, I compiled perl with -Wall enabled.
>Didn't come out too badly if you ignore the several thousand "warning:
>unused variable `Perl___notused'" warnings.  What is that?  Some sort
>of no-op.

There is a GCC attribute that will silence the warning - with sutable
#define we could add that to the dXXXX in question.
I suspect if you build with -DMULTIPLICITY the thing will be used
and warnings will go away.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
who is looking for a new job see http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/