develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2001

[ID 20010427.001] Cannot install perl-5.6.1: problem in "make test"

From:
Georg Wittig
Date:
April 27, 2001 02:53
Subject:
[ID 20010427.001] Cannot install perl-5.6.1: problem in "make test"
Message ID:
20010427115248.B7543@twister.gmd.de
Hi,

I have problems installing perl-5.6.1 which should be the newest
stable version according to CPAN. Symptom: "./Configure" and "make"
work fine, but "make test" produces the following error:

	base/cond............ok
	base/if..............ok
	base/lex.............FAILED at test 47
	Failed a basic test--cannot continue.
	make: *** [test] Error 29

As you can imagine, I hesitate to do a "make install" after this
error message. :-)

What I tried till now:

- built a shadow tree to the original 5.6.1 source tree (using
  "lndir")

- copied Policy.sh and config.sh from the 5.6.0 build tree

- ran "./Configure"

- ran "make"

- ran "make test"        ...kaboom...

- tried this on OSF1-4.0f (=Tru64) and Irix-6.5: same symptoms

- tried using the cc that comes with the respective OS and
  alternatively gcc-2.95.3: same symptoms

- tried different compiler optimization flags: same symptoms

- tried system malloc vs. perl malloc (in ./Configure): same symptoms

- tried running "./Configure" from the scratch (i.e. without old
  Policy.sh and config.sh files): same symptoms

- tried to comment out test #47 in t/base/lex.t: symptoms now appear
  in test #48

- tried to remove all the tests #47-51 in t/base/lex.t: symptoms now
  appear in the next test file t/base/pat.t .

Now I'm running out of ideas what to try next. :-) Never have had
similar problems with any older version of perl.

Is this a bug in 5.6.1, or did I do something wrong? If you need a
copy of my config.sh file or of some other files, please send a short
email so I can send those files to you.

Thanks for your help,