develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2001

An idea for multiplicity

From:
Albert Tobey
Date:
April 26, 2001 07:04
Subject:
An idea for multiplicity
Message ID:
3AE82AC5.4060404@priority-health.com
Hi,
   I've been doing alot of reading on threads lately for a perl mongers
talk (on threads).  On reading about python, I either read or misread a
piece about their threading implementation that appeared to mean that
all threading actions are serialized using a global spinlock of some sort
   The idea that gave me is that perl could have one of those global
spinlocks that forces serialization of all operations.  The cool part
about it is that the programmer would have to explicitely turn it off to
get full multiplicity.  This would be a boon when debugging weirdness in
threaded applications and would mean that non-threadsafe modules
wouldn't mean the death of a threaded application.

   The short, short version: how about a global serialization lock that
has to be explicitely turned off to gain full multiplicity.

Anyways, Just A Thought.

-Al Tobey
albert.tobey@priority-health.com

--

to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error please notify the Priority Health Information