Re: flock() on dup'ed filehandle is not enforced

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
March 28, 2001 11:23
Re: flock() on dup'ed filehandle is not enforced
Message ID:
200103281922.f2SJMkZ28993@smtp3.ActiveState.com
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:14:12 CST, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>> >According to Gwyn, the close(7) releases the lock on the file, and
>> >this semantics is mandated by POSIX.  If this is true, then it only
>> >works on Linux because of a bug in Linux!
>>
>> I'd claim it is a bug in POSIX.
>
>Which is more correct is largely irrelevant,

It is relevant if we want to decide which behavior you want perl
to have. :-)

>Perl should paste over
>the differences in underlying implementations to create a cohesive
>whole.

Sure.

>Not that POSIX is by definition correct, there are many spots where
>either a silly behaviour was codified just because that was how
>everyone's implementations were behaving, or (in case of greater
>variability or disagreement) a silly compromise was forged that made
>nobody happy but nobody unhappy, either -- but POSIX still *is* the
>standard.

Yes, but people seldom seem to recognize bugs in standards for what
they are.  I don't want perl to codify all the bugs that POSIX did.

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com

SEE ALSO

    stdio(3)