Re: flock() on dup'ed filehandle is not enforced

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
March 28, 2001 11:14
Re: flock() on dup'ed filehandle is not enforced
Message ID:
20010328131412.A20809@chaos.wustl.edu
> >According to Gwyn, the close(7) releases the lock on the file, and
> >this semantics is mandated by POSIX.  If this is true, then it only
> >works on Linux because of a bug in Linux!
>
> I'd claim it is a bug in POSIX.

Which is more correct is largely irrelevant, Perl should paste over
the differences in underlying implementations to create a cohesive
whole.

Not that POSIX is by definition correct, there are many spots where
either a silly behaviour was codified just because that was how
everyone's implementations were behaving, or (in case of greater
variability or disagreement) a silly compromise was forged that made
nobody happy but nobody unhappy, either -- but POSIX still *is* the
standard.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen