Re: pods patched

From:
Ilya Zakharevich
Date:
March 17, 2001 11:59
Re: pods patched
Message ID:
20010317145523.A23953@math.ohio-state.edu
On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 09:49:13AM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> Okay, since we seem to be able to disagree even on two bytes
> ("=over" vs "=over 4"),

Even less: one byte changes:

 This module is very unusual as overloaded modules go: it does not
-provide any usual overloaded operators, instead it provides the L<Last
-Resort> operator C<nomethod>.  In this example the corresponding
+provide any usual overloaded operators, instead it provides the
+L<Last Resort> operator C<nomethod>.  In this example the corresponding
 subroutine returns an object which encapsulates operations done over

Note that the only change is a removal of \n inside L<>.  As if the
POD parsers do not normalize whitespace inside L<> and X<>.

Of course, many converters have bugs (like pod2man which breaks in the
presense of newlines inside X<>), but we should not base POD on lame
converters.  [IIRC, pod2html wouldn't grok even L<function C<bar>>, not
taking about C<func(I<ARGLIST>)>.]

And why the movement of POD from after __END__ to front, when it will
slow-down calculation (see ExtUtils/MM_OS2.pm)?

Ilya

P.S.  On the question of normalization: in my experience, there are 3
      possible laxitude levels:

	a) normalize whitespace s/\s+/ / (oups, what I do does not
	   support S< > inside links and link targets :-[);

	b) Do (a) and remove all markup;

	c) Convert (b) to lowercase;

      The converters I support (hmm, probably singular is more
      appropriate ;-) do all of those: they maintain 3 hashes, and for
      each possible link target they put the 3 variants into 3 hashes.

      For each link they do (a,b,c), and look for results in these
      hashes correspondingly.  The first match wins.