Re: my purify runs with 5.6.1-to-be

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
March 16, 2001 09:50
Re: my purify runs with 5.6.1-to-be
Message ID:
20010316115034.F10215@chaos.wustl.edu
On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 05:22:51PM +0000, Alan Burlison wrote:
> Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>
> > Sarathy's "clear_pmop" patch hasn't been applied yet.  Well, it was,
> > but since it causes the fertilizer hit the fan in Digital UNIX really
> > quick, I took it out.  The maddening thing is that the core dumps
> > galore doesn't happen in platforms where Sarathy has access to :-(
>
> I can try reproducing the problem on Solaris with the arenas disabled -
> that might provide some insight.  Sarathay, can I possibly have a
> current copy of the patch?

The patch is still the same (attached).  One theory is that 64-bitness
is somehow involved, so if you could try64bitall on a v9.  What
happens for me in Tru64 that out of the blue the pmop->op_pmnext in
the linked list walking code of this patch is 0xff000000, which makes
things go south at the pmop = pmop->op_pmnext.  So something has
corrupted the linked list.  Random tests dump core, such as op/fork
and op/mkdir.  I managed to whittle down a 'minimal' core dumping
example

	PERL_DESTRUCT_LEVEL=1 ./perl -Ilib -MCwd -e 1

I still haven't had the time to cut this down, sorry... (since the
bug is so elusive, this example wouldn't "work" for you, anyway,
didn't work for Sarathy...)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen