Re: my purify runs with 5.6.1-to-be

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
March 16, 2001 08:11
Re: my purify runs with 5.6.1-to-be
Message ID:
20010316100452.D10215@chaos.wustl.edu
> I'd suggest the following approach:
>
>    * find out what platforms it coredumps on

I think so far we have my Tru64 and David Dyck's Linux (see 20010306.007).

>    * if it is only one platform, check if it may due to compiler
>      bug (use a different compiler; try turning off optimizations, &c)
>    * if it is more than one platform, run something like purify on
>      it and watch the address that it SEGVs on and see who modifies
>      it

I have tried Third Degree (oh, have I tried) but unfortunately the
SEGV is too effective in killing the application, TD only manages
to record the SEGV and then the dump core happens.

Over the weekend I'll try to have a serious gdb session on the matter.

> >What do you think?
> >should I try this approach?
>
> Perhaps, but I won't have any confidence that you'd have fixed
> the real problem until someone manages to explain why the other
> approach doesn't work in some places.
>
> >Another question  - Sarathy, did you applied your "clear_pmop" patch into
> >maint version of perl?
>
> Nope, and I probably won't for 5.6.1.  This bug is too low priority
> to risk applying without understanding why it crashes only in some
> places.

Agreed.  reset() is pretty esoteric, even more esoteric that someone
combines if (0) with it.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen