RE: my purify runs with 5.6.1-to-be

From:
Konovalov, Vadim
Date:
March 15, 2001 23:48
RE: my purify runs with 5.6.1-to-be
Message ID:
402099F49BEED211999700805FC7359FA26CAA@ru0028exch01.spb.lucent.com
> > > P.S: Note that these tests are all done without changing how the
> > > global destruction happens.  Alan is doing more testing with his
> > > fully refcount-based destruction, which I expect might
> turn up cases
> > > hidden by the arena cleanup.
> >
> > Indeed it does - It shows up the heap corruption caused by the
> >
> > reset;
> > if (0) {
> >   if ("" =~ //) {
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > testcase.  I've attached the purify errors below.
> Basically this bug is
> > unchanged since the last discussion of it on the list a
> couple of weeks
> > back.
>
> Sarathy's "clear_pmop" patch hasn't been applied yet.  Well, it was,
> but since it causes the fertilizer hit the fan in Digital UNIX really
> quick, I took it out.  The maddening thing is that the core dumps
> galore doesn't happen in platforms where Sarathy has access to :-(

Can it be because Sarathy changed the size of structure PMOP by adding extra
field into it, thus influenting some memory allocations?

Anyway, it seems to me that in "clear_pmop" patch there should be no extra
field for PMOP, at least for economy reasons, and that list of PMOPs should
be organized in a slightly different manner. Say, there should be one global
pointer to head of that list -- it seems to me this will solve that broblem.

What do you think?
should I try this approach?

Another question  - Sarathy, did you applied your "clear_pmop" patch into
maint version of perl?

Best wishes,
<!ENTITY Vadim REALLIFE "Vadim V.Konovalov, St.Petersburg, Russia">
&Vadim;