Re: use bytes; - what does/should it mean?

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
March 12, 2001 08:33
Re: use bytes; - what does/should it mean?
Message ID:
20010312163308.A20021@pembro26.pmb.ox.ac.uk
On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 03:54:23PM +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
> Right now some it seems some parts of perl do things one way (expose the guts)
> and some do it the other (take steps to make it "safe").

You see that as a problem; I see it as an opportunity; use bytes makes it an
option. :)

Seriously, the "partial transparency" model that I'm propounding means that
it's fine to give the end-user Perl-level access to the internal
representation if we tell her what she's going to get and when. So having "use
bytes" expose the representation fits in well with that.

--
DISCLAIMER:
Use of this advanced computing technology does not imply an endorsement