Re: use bytes; - what does/should it mean?

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
March 12, 2001 06:55
Re: use bytes; - what does/should it mean?
Message ID:
20010312145501.A19687@pembro26.pmb.ox.ac.uk
On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 08:50:50AM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> The Hairy Beast is rather sparse and/or vague on "use bytes".

Good! More freedom for us.

> 	In this case, you may put a use bytes declaration around
> 	the byte-oriented code to force it to use byte semantics
> 	even on strings marked as utf8 strings.

This is what I think "use bytes" should do, and currently does.

> In Camel the former is not used.  bytes::length() is used instead.
> How did we come to think that 'use bytes; length' should be equal
> to bytes::length?

The Camel also says that "use bytes" defines byte-oriented wrappers around
functions like length; that would suggest to me that {use bytes; length}
is a byte-oriented length.

--
All the good ones are taken.