Re: editing perly.y

From:
Peter Prymmer
Date:
March 6, 2001 16:09
Re: editing perly.y
Message ID:
Pine.OSF.4.10.10103061557250.225644-100000@aspara.forte.com

Dan Sugalski wrote:

>At 04:58 PM 3/6/2001 +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
>>That's because, on the very, very, very, very rare occasions that one needs to
>>change perly.y, (last time was to make the parser re-entrant, time before that
>>was to update the copyright to 2001!) you then need to run "make run_byacc" to
>>run byacc and fix up the resulting C file with the dynamic-allocation patches.
>
>Then you also need to run vms/vms_yfix.pl to patch up the VMS version of
>perly.c and perly.h.

Some editing to perly.y may also have impact on several EBCDIC platforms.
On OS/390 and BS2000 we cannot use the perly.c and perly.h files that ship
with perl since some of the \OOO octal escapes for control characters in
the files that ship with perl are not well suited to the EBCDIC coded
character sets (various switch construct refuse to compile since they will
wind up with duplicate cases).  On OS/390 we use a system supplied yacc
utility and a sed construct in Makefile.SH in order to do the moral
equivalent of a `make run_byacc` during the Makefile.SH -> Makefile
extraction.  On BS2000 and VM/ESA respective ports of GNU bison and
separate sed scripts in Makefile.SH are run to yield the same effect.

If it is not too much bother then Ccing the perl-mvs@perl.org list with
any proposed patches to perly.y would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Peter Prymmer