develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

perldoc -X and old pod.idx

From:
Ronald J Kimball
Date:
February 28, 2001 15:04
Subject:
perldoc -X and old pod.idx
Message ID:
20010228180412.D617005@linguist.thayer.dartmouth.edu
I just discovered -- the hard way -- that `perldoc -X` silently ignores the
index file if it is more than 7 days old.

I'm curious about why -X was implemented this way (and why it's not
documented).

If this behavior should be preserved, I will patch perldoc to document this
'feature' and output a warning when it is triggered.

If not, I will patch perldoc to accept the index no matter how old it is.

Either way, I would like to patch perldoc to output a warning when -X is
used and the index does not exist or is unreadable.

Comments?

Ronald