develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

Re: [ID 20010225.003] inconsistencies in locale support

From:
andrew
Date:
February 26, 2001 16:14
Re: [ID 20010225.003] inconsistencies in locale support
Message ID:
20010226191348.A17705@pimlott.ne.mediaone.net
On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 11:44:27PM +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 06:31:50PM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> > The reason is that isalpha is implemented as .xs code, while tolower
> > is a pure Perl subroutine that calls lc.
>
> Urgh, that's a bug. tolower in POSIX should call the underlying C routine.
> POSIX.pm things should be POSIXish first and Perlish second.

Ok, the question is how many functions in POSIX.pm need to be
migrated?  Quite a number are implemented as Perl.  Only a few do
anything non-trivial, so migrating them all to C is certainly
feasible.

As for which ones need to be in C for locale purposes, aside from
tolower and toupper, the only candidates I see (that is actually
implemented) is strerror.  But I may have missed some, and maybe
there are some others that have subtle bugs due to being implemented
in Perl?

Andrew