develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

5.005_03 on IA64 has subtle bug

From:
Jeff Okamoto
Date:
February 23, 2001 10:42
Subject:
5.005_03 on IA64 has subtle bug
Message ID:
200102231842.KAA26461@xfiles.corp.hp.com
Just a note to let folks know that if you combine Perl 5.005_03 with
Linux (or HP-UX, but not the version we'll be shipping) on an IA64 box,
you are vulnerable to a subtle bug that is due to the IA interpretation
of the C standard regarding casting of negative floating point numbers
directly to unsigned.

If you cast directly, you will see your negative number turned to 0.  If
you first cast to int, then to unsigned, you will see correct behavior.
This problem can be identified via the Convert-ASN1 extension in the
t/00prim.t test, numbers 130 and 134.

Version 5.6.1 TRIAL2 fixes this problem, but some Linuxes for IA64 are
shipping 5.005_03 (specifically TurboLinux).

This is probably not worth a patch to 5.005_03, but might be worth some
extra tests for 5.6.1 just in case.  I can write them up if folks think
it's worth doing so.

Jeff