develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

Re: Perl-Unicode fundamentals

From:
Ilya Zakharevich
Date:
February 21, 2001 15:53
Re: Perl-Unicode fundamentals
Message ID:
20010221185350.A19031@math.ohio-state.edu
On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 11:46:42PM +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
> OK: just a thought - this has gone pretty much far enough now. Nick and I have
> agreed on a model which settles our differences, and which is also extremely
> close to your model

You cannot get "extremely close to transparency".  It is either
transparent, or not.  And I warned you many times already: if your
Perl is not transparent, your Perl is busted.

AFAICU, you *cannot* translate 0..256 range from 'locale' to Unicode
when upgrading byte->utf8.  This would break too many things.

But you do not *need* to translate: instead, all you need to do is to
back-translate the cultural info tables used for utf8-encoded chars in
the 0..255 range.

Ilya