develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

Re: [gsar@ActiveState.com: v5.6.1 trial2 is available]

From:
Jens-Uwe Mager
Date:
February 21, 2001 14:41
Re: [gsar@ActiveState.com: v5.6.1 trial2 is available]
Message ID:
20010221213203.A18340@ans.helios.de
On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 05:44:34PM +0100, Ciaran.Deignan@bull.net wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 Ciaran.Deignan@bull.net wrote:
>
> > Hi Jarkko,

> [AIX-4.3.2, IBM's C compiler, Apache apxs shared modules]
>
> I tried to get mod_perl-1.25 (an Apache/perl module that's
> supposed to let you use perl to implement script-based apache modules)
> working with perl-5.6.1-trial2, and failed. I can get mod_perl
> working with perl-5.5.3, but I never succeeded with perl-5.6.0.
>
> With perl-5.6.1-trial2, the mod-perl initialisation is successful, but I
> get a segmentation fault as soon as I try to access the perl script
> (test.pl or test.perl).

A short while ago the Apache distribution did change over to the native
dlopen library if the AIX version 4.3 and above. For previous versions
the dlopen emulation layer is still used. Perl does always use the
emulation, which produces a conflict if Apache uses the native one in
the modperl case. I attach a patch below that changes the perl
distribution to also use the native AIX dlopen on AIX 4.3 and above as
in the Apache case.

For getting some more involved modperl modules like Embperl to work we
probably need to change the modperl.exp file to include the magic "#! ."
instead of simply "#!" at the beginning, this signals the native dlopen
to import symbols from the main program. The patch already does that in
makedef.pl for the perl.exp file, but only on AIX 4.3 and above because
the older AIX linkers do strange things if this option is used.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3