develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

Re: The State of The Unicode

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
February 19, 2001 19:02
Re: The State of The Unicode
Message ID:
20010220030200.A2199@pembro26.pmb.ox.ac.uk
On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 09:53:14PM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> Let me say first that the reason all of my pseudo-code has been "OO
> crap" is that I'm trying to make it as painfully clear as I can
> think to (yes, emphasis on pain).  Since nobody else has yet
> proposed any specific interfaces,

What about the one we've got?

> I'm saying you call an explicit function, eg to_utf8(), which gives
> you back a string such that if you say "substr $str, 0, 1", you get
> the first byte of the UTF-8 representation, and "length $str" is the
> length of the UTF-8 representation.  Period.

I wonder if this would work:

    sub to_utf8 {
        use bytes
        return $_[0]
    }

> But *epiphany* I get the sense that people here don't think of UTF-8
> as "another encoding", they think of it as "what just works" with a
> Unicode-enabled perl,

Your senses are deceiving you. I don't think of UTF8 as "what just works", but
I do think of it as "what we have decided will become Perl's internal
representation for non-native data".

--
Only two things are infinite: the universe and human ignorance. -A. Einstein