develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

Re: The State of The Unicode

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
February 19, 2001 18:19
Re: The State of The Unicode
Message ID:
20010219201920.K20429@chaos.wustl.edu
> So I guess all the things one would want to do will still be
> available, I'm just worried that they'll require lots of OO crap
> to do.

Yea, truly.  I/O used to be so simple, and now we can't have a
function telling the length in bytes of a scalar (so that we can
syswrite() it into a socket, say), now we must start worrying about
character encoding discipines, and in general, as you so succinctly
put it, OO crap.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen