develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2001

Re: The State of The Unicode

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
February 19, 2001 17:14
Re: The State of The Unicode
Message ID:
20010219191407.I20429@chaos.wustl.edu
> > My kingdom for one example.

Socket I/O?

Protocols: if all I know is that my output is 500 Unicode characters
long, how am I to print out Content-Length?

If I have a scalar which according to length() is 10E7 Unicode characters,
will it fit within my disk quota of which I have 20E7 bytes left?

> But you don't have to go that low level. uuencode & base64 work with 8-bit
> bytes. Taking your Unicode string, looking at it as bytes, uuencode it,
> send it, receive it, uudecode it and looking at it again as Unicode will
> work - as long as you can get to the bytes representation.

Any encoding which hasn't yet been encoded in Encode?

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen