(Fwd) Problems with compiling the C source.

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
January 31, 2001 01:53
Subject:
(Fwd) Problems with compiling the C source.
Message ID:
20010131095323.A19264@ig.co.uk
----- Forwarded message from yuri Gelman <yuri_gelman@hotmail.com> -----

From: yuri Gelman <yuri_gelman@hotmail.com>
To: Tim.Bunce@ig.co.uk
Subject: Problems with compiling the C source.
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:35:20 -0800

Hello Tim.
Thanks to O'Reily that included your e-mail to their Perl Module Reference.
Hope I do not disturb you, asking for help. But as it seems to me you are
only the person that can help me with.

I'm trying to combine the flexibility of Perl's DBI with Oracle.
The thing is that Oracle allows to map Unix .so libraries as the native
objects and call them from Oracle procedures. After I've learned that I'm
planning to create the .so files that will call different Perl procedures
since the Perl is more suitable for the programs that I need then C
programs(I extensively use DBI and DBD for .csv and Oracle).

At first I had problems with this since you have to provide special
treatment for such modules like DBI - they require usage of DynaLink.

The code that I found in your article helped me to find out what i have to
include to the C module and how I should to compile it. I'm talking about:

$> gcc my_file my_file.c `perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ccopts -e ldopts'

my_file.c contains xs_init function that I created as you recommended in the
white paper.

When I try to compile my_file.c, gcc throws the error message about
undefined variables boot_Socket (if I try to  use Socket) boot__DBI...
THE ONLY THING that is "kosher" is boot_DynaLink.

Please advise what I have to do in order to make this file to be compiled.
I can send you the code if you need more details.

You can contact me by replying to this e-mail or use my office account:
yuri@nextoffice.com

I will really appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely Yuri.