naive inquiry about vectorized Perl

From:
Rich Morin
Date:
January 30, 2001 02:22
Subject:
naive inquiry about vectorized Perl
Message ID:
p0500191ab69c44388928@[192.168.168.205]
I expect to be running Mac OS X one of these days, but I have been
thinking that my G3 is probably about as fast as it needs to be to
do everything I really need.  Then I started thinking; might Perl
be able to take advantage of the Velocity Engine (read, vector
processor) that the G4 has?  Not just by means of a library, mind,
but in things that get done for vanilla Perl code.

Can someone fill me in on any vector-processing capability that is
currently in Perl (or planned to be in it RSN)?  Does anyone know
whether the Velocity Engine might be able to take advantage of any
of this?

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm
email: rdm@cfcl.com