MAking Solaris malloc() the default

From:
Lupe Christoph
Date:
January 29, 2001 04:40
Subject:
MAking Solaris malloc() the default
Message ID:
20010129125936.Z4830@alanya.lupe-christoph.de
On Sunday, 2001-01-28 at 18:10:50 -0800, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:07:33 PST, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:
> >If perl's malloc is considered undesirable on Solaris, can we set
> >it to not default to the system malloc?

> s/not //, I mean.

Since I haven't seen anybody advocate using perl's malloc() over
Solaris', here are patches to hints/solaris_2.sh and README.solaris.
I've made the config variables that are set by the hints file
overridable from the command line (-Dusemymalloc), not only from
the dialog. If you think you know better, it's *your* foot ;-)

*** hints/solaris_2.sh.orig     Thu Jan  4 20:04:23 2001
--- hints/solaris_2.sh  Mon Jan 29 12:53:04 2001
***************
*** 1,5 ****
  # hints/solaris_2.sh
! # Last modified: Tue Jan  2 10:16:35 2001
  # Lupe Christoph <lupe@lupe-christoph.de>
  # Based on version by:
  # Andy Dougherty  <doughera@lafayette.edu>
--- 1,5 ----
  # hints/solaris_2.sh
! # Last modified: Mon Jan 29 12:52:28 2001
  # Lupe Christoph <lupe@lupe-christoph.de>
  # Based on version by:
  # Andy Dougherty  <doughera@lafayette.edu>
***************
*** 26,34 ****
  #  these ought to be harmless.  See below for more details.

  # See man vfork.
! usevfork=false

! d_suidsafe=define

  # Avoid all libraries in /usr/ucblib.
  # /lib is just a symlink to /usr/lib
--- 26,41 ----
  #  these ought to be harmless.  See below for more details.

  # See man vfork.
! usevfork=${usevfork:-false}

! # Solaris has secure SUID scripts
! d_suidsafe=${d_suidsafe:-define}
!
! # Several people reported problems with perl's malloc, especially
! # when use64bitall is defined or when using gcc.
! usemymalloc=${usemymalloc:-false}

  # Avoid all libraries in /usr/ucblib.
  # /lib is just a symlink to /usr/lib
*** README.solaris.orig Sat Nov 11 21:59:50 2000
--- README.solaris      Mon Jan 29 12:12:52 2001
***************
*** 358,370 ****
  All this should be handled automatically by the hints file, if
  requested.

- If you do want to be able to allocate more than 4GB memory inside
- perl, then you should use the Solaris malloc, since the perl
- malloc breaks when dealing with more than 2GB of memory.  You can do
- this with
-
-       sh Configure -Uusemymalloc
-
  =head3 Long Doubles.

  As of 5.6.0, long doubles are not working.
--- 358,363 ----
***************
*** 389,399 ****
  an LP64 application, since perl's malloc has trouble allocating more
  than 2GB of memory.

! You can avoid perl's malloc by Configuring with
!
!       sh Configure -Uusemymalloc

! [XXX Update hints file.]

  =head1 MAKE PROBLEMS.

--- 382,390 ----
  an LP64 application, since perl's malloc has trouble allocating more
  than 2GB of memory.

! If you feel adventurous, you can force perl's malloc by Configuring with

!       sh Configure -Dusemymalloc

  =head1 MAKE PROBLEMS.

--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |        http://free.prohosting.com/~lupe |
| "Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time."             |