Even more lvalue lunacy

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
January 28, 2001 18:30
Subject:
Even more lvalue lunacy
Message ID:
20010129022153.A15942@pembro26.pmb.ox.ac.uk
Suppose we want to do C-style:

 % ./perl -le '$foo.bar = $baz'
Can't modify concatenation (.) or string in scalar assignment at -e line 1, at
EOF

Yes, all very well, Perl, but "." may be overloaded for $foo and the
overloaded sub may be defined in the lvalue context.

I have a feeling that if we want to do lvalue subs *right*, then compile-time
modification checking has to go away.

(PS: Should one be able to overload -> ?)

--
I would imagine most of the readers of this group would support abortion
as long as fifty or sixty years after conception for certain individuals