".pet" File extension for Perl Encoding Tables (as data) ?

From:
nick
Date:
January 22, 2001 13:58
Subject:
".pet" File extension for Perl Encoding Tables (as data) ?
Message ID:
E14Kovf-0007d2-00@roam1

The current scheme for compiling Encoding tables into Encode.xs as C code
is a little limiting.

We probably do not want to build in all the encodings (Asian ones are large),
nor have to re-build Encode.so just to add a new one.

So I plan to write the tables to a (binary) file. I think the file should
have an extension so that Encode.pm can spot them quickly in @INC etc.

I suggest (mainly to be overruled) .pet
e.g. "big5.pet" or perhaps "Chinese.pet", "Phonetic.pet" etc.

Other less "twee" suggestions welcome.

It wants to be <= 3 chars for DOS/CDROM and not too likely to already
"mean" something to Win32 and other things that bind applications that way.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons