Re: Unifying 'skip' and 'todo' test output

From:
Tim Jenness
Date:
January 17, 2001 20:37
Re: Unifying 'skip' and 'todo' test output
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.30.0101171833300.3862-100000@lapaki.jach.hawaii.edu
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Michael G Schwern wrote:

>         1..6
>         ok 1
>         ok 2
>         not ok 3        # todo
>         not ok 4        # todo I'm a lazy ass
>         not ok 5        # todo
>         ok 6
>
> Declare an entire test todo like this...
>
>         1..0 todo When pigs fly
>
> Test.pm and Test::Harness would need some minor modifications, which
> I'll do shortly.  It'll actually simplify the Test::Harness code a
> bit.

This looks okay. One thing that has always surprised me with Test.pm is
that it expects you to put the "skip" into the reason.

 i.e.   skip($reason)

expects $reason to start with "skip" (it adds the "#") even though you
are using the "skip" function. I was going to patch this to add "skip"
(and now "todo") but I'll wait until your patch unless you beat me to it.
The problem is exacerbated by the Test.pm documentation that doesn't
explain this - you should be able to use Test.pm without having to
understand how Test::Harness recognizes failures/skips/todo

--
Tim Jenness
JCMT software engineer/Support scientist