hash keys (Re: Ideas for papers)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
January 17, 2001 15:06
Subject:
hash keys (Re: Ideas for papers)
Message ID:
20010117230559.B42068@plum.flirble.org
On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 09:21:09AM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote:
>  - work out how to precalculate the hash values for things like
>    UNIVERSAL and main:: and other commonly hashed strings, and see
>    what kind of performance win results (if any)

Did anyone on here suggest storing the computed hash key for a SV in the
IV slot (in the same way that SVf_OOK stores the offset)? Or is my memory
deceiving me?

Either way, is it OK to meddle with the IV slot on a SV with SVf_READONLY set?
Is it a sign that the value isn't mutable? Or that it's to be treated as if
it's in read only memory?

Nicholas Clark