Re: Multiple post(inc|dec)rement

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
January 17, 2001 11:52
Re: Multiple post(inc|dec)rement
Message ID:
20010117195235.A30364@pembro26.pmb.ox.ac.uk
On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:43:54PM +0100, abigail@foad.org wrote:
> >                                                             Slowing
> > Perl down isn't going to unconfuse them.
>
> Bleh. Unquantified statements of slowing down things are usually political
> arguments.

Not at all; I'll qualify it, if you like: a fix to this so-called problem
*could* be implemented, as I have proved, but it requires the copying of an
extra SV every time post increment or decrement is used. This would affect not
just the extremely rare (currently non-existent due to its undefined
semantics!) case of multiple side-effect statements, but every single time the
operator is used. Hence, it would be a net pessimisation for a questionable
gain. Plus it defines a semantic, removing a degree of optimisation freedom.

Still keen on it?

--
Skud's Law: The surreality of the universe tends toward a maximum.