Re: Ideas for papers

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
January 13, 2001 09:35
Re: Ideas for papers
Message ID:
20010113173341.A14035@pembro26.pmb.ox.ac.uk
On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 11:25:56AM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > > I can't claim to know that evil grimoire well enough.
> > It'd be an incredible piece of work if you did write that paper,
> > though.  HINT.  *HINT*.
> I find it hard to imagine a paper on the engine that wouldn't make
> people fall asleep.  Or get nauseous.  Or both.

I think the point is that the RE Engine is the last great unconquered
land as far as Perl internals are concerned; there's never been a really
good explanation of how it all fits together, so nobody touches it. If
more people understood it, maybe more people could clean it up.

Besides, there was a rather impressive piece of work you did with the regular
expression engine and Unicode support - maybe you could (at least) write
something about that?

--
"I don't think so," said Rene Descartes.  Just then, he vanished.