Re: Socket issues on Solaris 2.7.1 to 8

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
January 5, 2001 09:10
Re: Socket issues on Solaris 2.7.1 to 8
Message ID:
3A55FFFA.E09C3D64@uk.sun.com
fhirsch@tse.com wrote:

> We recently upgraded our development operating system from Solaris 2.5.1 to
> Solaris 8 (also encountered on 2.7.1 and suspected to be a problem in 2.6).
> While we did not expect any problems with our extensive Perl based
> application, we have found that a Oracle database connection pooling server
> has serious problems with socket connections on the new O/S. I have
> attempted to research and develop a solution to this problem with no
> solution in sight (other than a complete rewrite). I am hoping someone on
> one of these lists has had a similar experience with the issue.

The sockets subsystem was reimplemented between 2.5.1 and 2.6.  It is
most likely that your application is depending on an implementation
artifact tof the 2.5.1 sockets code that changed or went away in 2.6

Please could you send 'truss -f' output for the server during the
fork/bind step for both 2.5.1 and 2.8, and I'll have a look.

--
Alan Burlison
Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems