Re: [ID 20001226.002] Not OK: perl v5.7.0 +DEVEL8221 on i86pc-solaris 2.8 (UNINSTALLED)

From:
Lupe Christoph
Date:
December 26, 2000 15:43
Re: [ID 20001226.002] Not OK: perl v5.7.0 +DEVEL8221 on i86pc-solaris 2.8 (UNINSTALLED)
Message ID:
20001227000459.D15158@alanya.lupe-christoph.de
On Tuesday, 2000-12-26 at 16:29:14 +0100, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:

> filt-util.t is no longer part of bleadperl. You should rsync with
> --delete switch from time to time.

> filter-util.t is the replacement and has this particular bug fixed. It
> was a bug in the test and was fixed in patch 7849.

--- Also sprach Andreas J. Koenig ---

Ah! So, please make that an OK report. ;-)

(I had 26 files that got deleted by the --delete option.)

This raises the question, though - why does pod/perlhack.pod not
mention the --delete option?

I suppose it's easy to do the rsync equivalent of "rm -rf" with
this option, but shouldn't perlhack.pod at least mention that
this option is a good idea if you rsync on a regular basis?

Something like this maybe?

*** pod/perlhack.pod.orig       Fri Nov 17 16:05:33 2000
--- pod/perlhack.pod    Wed Dec 27 00:00:09 2000
***************
*** 241,246 ****
--- 241,256 ----
  distribution) and setting date/time stamps of existing files to
  reflect the bleadperl status.

+ Note that this will not delete any files that where in '.' before
+ the rsync. Once you are sure that the rsync is running correctly,
+ run it with the --delete options like this:
+
+  # rsync -avz --delete rsync://ftp.linux.activestate.com/perl-current/ .
+
+ This will get rid of any files that are not in bleadperl. Possibly
+ even files that you wanted to keep. So make sure you run this
+ in a directory you can afford loose. And don't blame us...
+
  You can than check what patch was the latest that was applied by
  looking in the file B<.patch>, which will show the number of the
  latest patch.

I might have overdone the warning a little :-)

Not keep any files?
OK                                                                   No
Are you sure?
Are you really sure?
"Weehaaaa!"

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |        http://free.prohosting.com/~lupe |
| The equal opportunity democracy - every vote has an equal chance       |