New attempt on hints/solaris_2.sh

From:
Lupe Christoph
Date:
December 26, 2000 07:43
Subject:
New attempt on hints/solaris_2.sh
Message ID:
20001226163236.C15158@alanya.lupe-christoph.de
Hello, folks!

I've adapted my Solaris hints script revamp from before 5.7.0
to the current bleadperl (8221).

Apologies to Andy Dougherty fo, erm, seducing his child ;-)

Since I have only Solaris 2.6 on SPARC and no Sun compiler,
I'd especially like to ask folks who have Solaris 7 or newer running
in 64 bit mode, and a Sun compiler (Alan, Jens?) to test this
with both use64bit modes. Nothing should change due to this
Hints file. It's just cleanups.

Alan, if you get into EBCDIC mode again, we'll have to look at that
in earnest ;-)

Now for an explanation of changes:

Editorial:

- trailing whitespace removed.
- old comment "XXX EXPERIMENTAL  A.D.  2/27/1998" removed.
- made Solaris version naming (2.7 vs. 7) consistent.

Functionality:
- remove a few more useless libraries from the list.
- only do use64bitall on SPARC.
- moved check for WorkShop compiler.

Alan, the bug 4117946 this tests for has been labelled "Integrated
in Releases: s998_15". Is that Solaris 7? The test program you put
in the bug report works OK on my Solaris 8. I'd like to update the
hints script with more up to date information.

OK, I did one change that is more than rewrite - I tied uselongdouble
support to libsunmath rather than the Sun compiler, to allow people
to try using gcc for long doubles.

Using gcc with libsunmath on my x86 gives quite a few errors:
	Failed 13 test scripts out of 268, 95.15% okay.
I think I'll have a closer look at those failures, soon.

The attachment is a drop-in replacement rather than a patch to make
testing a bit easier - just move the old file out of the way and
run Configure. I'll supply a patch when we know the script is OK.

Holding for casualty reports,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |        http://free.prohosting.com/~lupe |
| The equal opportunity democracy - every vote has an equal chance       |