Re: How to get the latest sources?

From:
Dominic Dunlop
Date:
December 16, 2000 03:52
Re: How to get the latest sources?
Message ID:
p04320411b65ffed01ff8@[192.168.1.4]
At 16:22 +0100 2000-12-15, Daniel Stutz wrote:
>What to do to get the latest sources via CVS?

As others have said, try rsync instead.  The way to do this is
described in the perlhack.pod documentation, distributed with 5.6.0
(and subsequent development versions in the 5.7.0 track).

>By the way: its very hard to find infomation about P5P.

Again, others have pointed out that it's mentioned early in the FAQs.
I decided to see how easy it was to find the information on the Web,
as these days, I for one tend to look there before reaching for the
FAQs.

If I type "perl" at Netscape, it takes me to a page at www.perl.com
which has (among arguably too many other things) a "mailing lists"
link on it -- a good start.  Perl5-porters is listed on the target
page -- although the description conveys less information than the
name of the list itself does, and has a typo.  Following the link
leads to a  sparse page containing a valid link to the archives and
an invalid link to the FAQs.  You certainly don't find out how to
subscribe this way.  So, yes, the perl.com route could be improved.
CCed to relevant webmasters in the hope of action.

If you have the bright idea of typing "www.perl.org" at your browser
-- Perl being not-for-profit and all -- you arrive at another page
with a "mail lists" link, and the target page has a mailto: link that
you can use to subscribe to p5p.  I don't think there's need of
improvement here.
--
Dominic Dunlop