Re: [8095] HP-UX 11.00 / cc / 64bitint & 64bitall / perlio

From:
H . Merijn Brand
Date:
December 14, 2000 03:31
Re: [8095] HP-UX 11.00 / cc / 64bitint & 64bitall / perlio
Message ID:
20001214110248.54B5.H.M.BRAND@hccnet.nl
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:43:09 +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons <nick@ing-simmons.net> wrote:
> H . Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@hccnet.nl> writes:
>
> >What strikes me is that the times are *slower* for all tests in 64bit
> >mode than in 32 bit mode.
>
> So what is the surprise there ?

Talking to my children and wife in Dutch (I'm Dutch) is less straining to the
brain then

Exchanging information and thoughts with Perl 5 Porters on a mailing list,
where a dictionary comes in handy once in a while, which is easier then

Talking to a German perl monger on a Perl congress in London in German where my
brain cache is flooded with translation tables with sub-optimal search- and
index methods used for relating the four languages (Dutch, English, German and
Perl). This is even more a problem during diner/pubs where the brain is
swapping all the time sharing its resources between social and technical
processes.

In the same way I thought that running a ELF/64 process on a 64 kernel in a
hppa2.0w environment would be faster/more efficient then

running a 32 bit process on a 64 bit kernel on a hppa2.0w architecture which
should be significantly faster then

running a 64 bit program on a 64bit emulation layer to a 32bit wine emulation
running on linux emulating a 16bit Win95 kernel or something even less useful.

Just some thoughts. Anyone interested in why B/16 fails here? Investigate?

--
H.Merijn Brand           Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://www.amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.005.03, 5.6.0, 5.7.1 & 620 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2 & 4.3,