[ID 19991115.005] Problem with "system LIST" on Win32

From:
Stephen P. Potter
Date:
December 13, 2000 10:23
Subject:
[ID 19991115.005] Problem with "system LIST" on Win32
Message ID:
200012131825.NAA05658@spotter.yi.org

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Moore, Paul" <Paul.Moore@uk.origin-it.com>
Subject: RE: Perlbug ID 19991115.005: Problem with "system LIST" on Win32
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:32:38 -0000

From: Stephen P. Potter [mailto:spp@spotter.yi.org]
> During a cleanup of the perlbug database, this report you
> filed was found. Can you please describe what you feel is
> the current status of this bug, whether it has been fixed
> in a newer version, and whether this report should remain
> open or can be closed?
>
> -spp
>
> There seems to be a problem with the "system LIST" command on Win32.
>
>  The following 1-line test program
>
>      system "$^X -e \"print 1\"";
>
>  correctly prints a "1".
>
>  The (supposedly equivalent)
>
>      system $^X, "-e", "print 1";
>
>  prints nothing.

Thanks for the reminder. The problem is still outstanding in 5.6.0. As I
understand it, this requires a fairly significant reorganisation of the
internals of system/exec for Win32 (reflecting the fact that on Windows,
executing a command line is the fundamental operation, as opposed to Unix
where executing an argv array is the fundamental operation).

When I raised the bug, I looked at what would be involved in fixing it, but
it's beyond my capabilities/available time.

I believe that this bug should remain open.

Paul.

------- End of Forwarded Message