Re: Debian sitting on Perl bugs

From:
Darren/Torin/Who Ever...
Date:
December 12, 2000 16:55
Re: Debian sitting on Perl bugs
Message ID:
87puixywb5.fsf@perv.daft.com
Actually, the subject line should be something like:
Darren Stalder sits on Perl bugs due to having inadequate time
management skills.

>    I'm a Debian user and a member of the Perl 5 porters team. (But
>please note that I'm not speaking for p5p here, this is entirely my own
>initiative.)
>
>This is a little bit annoying, to say the least.

I apologize for this.  I have a list of things to send to p5p on a few
post-its around my monitor.

Part of this is posting about the problems and dealing with the daunting
task of keeping up with p5p to see how the patches fare.  Your work on
"This week on p5p" definitely helps.

Before LISA, I was catching up on the bugs in Debian Perl and getting
those fixed.  I still have a few packaging issues to deal with but that
is much happier.  My plan for after LISA was to take those bugs that I
had fixed up, Investigate perlbug and try to report some of the problems
that I've found.  I'm currently still catching up on e-mail but plan to
work with this by Wednesday evening.

>So, I'm suggesting that it would be in both our interests to have some
>kind of co-operation.

Yes, definitely.

>Would it be possible, for instance, for you to send copies of incoming
>bug reports on the Perl packages to perlbug@perl.org? They'd then enter
>our bug tracking scheme, and we could liaise on how to deal with them;
>at the very least, we'd *know* about them and wouldn't be bitten by them
>in the future.

I'll do that.  Rather than forward everything, I'll forward any of the
bugs that aren't packaging errors.

Also, I suspect that you don't want me to report bugs that have been
fixed in bleedperl, or do you?

What format does perlbug expect?  I noticed that there is a bounce bug
class for bugs in the right format.  This means that I need to know what
format that would be.

Choosing the spec link at the bottom of the page at
http://bugs.perl.org/ gives me "Invalid request (specification)".  I was
able to hit http://bugs.perl.org/perlbug.cgi?req=spec and read some of
what I would need.

Darren