Debian sitting on Perl bugs

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
December 12, 2000 16:10
Subject:
Debian sitting on Perl bugs
Message ID:
20001213000904.A26297@deep-dark-truthful-mirror.perlhacker.org
Hi Darren.

    I'm a Debian user and a member of the Perl 5 porters team. (But
please note that I'm not speaking for p5p here, this is entirely my own
initiative.)

    I just took a look at the changelog to the Debian perl-5.6 package,
and I was a little bit disturbed to see things like:

    This uncovered 2 documentation and 1 Configure bug in Perl.

crop up.

    What's worse is that I couldn't find those bugs reported to us, so we
have no idea what they are, so we can't fix them. On the other hand, I
couldn't find any other bugs reported to us by you, or by anyone else
from debian.org, ever. This is, shall we say, a little bit sucky.

So I took a look at bugs.debian.org, and found that there's a bunch more
bugs in Perl that you guys know about and have fixed. The problem is, we
have no idea about them and they're still loose in our source tree.

This is a little bit annoying, to say the least.

Part of the problem, obviously, is that we have a bug tracking scheme
and you have a bug tracking scheme, and our users send us reports and
your users send you reports and the two just don't get to talk to each
other.

So, I'm suggesting that it would be in both our interests to have some
kind of co-operation.

Would it be possible, for instance, for you to send copies of incoming
bug reports on the Perl packages to perlbug@perl.org? They'd then enter
our bug tracking scheme, and we could liaise on how to deal with them;
at the very least, we'd *know* about them and wouldn't be bitten by them
in the future.

Alternatively, any other ways that we could work together would probably
be good for both parties, and I'd be interested in helping in whatever
way I can.

Simon

--
>God Save the Queen!
And let Satan take the Prime Minister...
	- Tanuki, in the monastery.