Re: =code language ... =back in POD

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
December 12, 2000 11:16
Re: =code language ... =back in POD
Message ID:
20001212191636.K91652@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 01:02:09PM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> Nice idea in principle but the real world is kinda complex.

I think we'd benefit from it working, though
Even if it's incrementally applied to existing pods.

> > =code perl
>
> Which Perl?  I have several different versions installed.  With which
> options?  Environment variables?

I'd say it would be nice to use all of them, unless is flagged as not
working above or below specific versions.
[as it's probably a bad thing to let documentation get out that is
unknowingly too version specific]

But clearly the syntax needs to be there to flag the options.
but one could say

=code perl -Mstrict

to use strict

=code perl -M-strict >5.5

to ensure no strict (for code that it is known strict would fault)

=code perl -w FOO=bar

by default it would probably want to be the same version of perl as
is running the checker. I think. With warnings defaulting to on, seeing
as all the man pages like to promote -w

> > =code C
> >         printf("Hello World\n");
>
> If I have a hello.c with those contents it will most certainly not
> compile... and if compiled, with which compiler?  Compiler options?
> Etc.
>
> > =code shell
>
> Which shell?  sh? csh? bash? tcsh? zsh? ksh?  Etc.

=code sh

but I suspect that perl is >90% of code sitting in examples.

Nicholas Clark