Re: What was it layers were for again ?

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
November 28, 2000 13:22
Re: What was it layers were for again ?
Message ID:
20001128152233.C11203@chaos.wustl.edu
On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 09:11:59PM +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
> Gisle Aas <gisle@ActiveState.com> writes:
> >Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com> writes:
> >
> >> In the near term we need something to say "this stream provides/
> >> accepts UTF-8", and we need to go through and make C code honour that.
> >> But once that is done what else to we need to make UTF8 useful?
> >
> >Could these layers be applied to other system call interfaces perl
> >has?  Anything that pass file names back and forth might need
> >translation in/out of perl's chars.
>
> True. But I don't yet have a feel for what is  "right" in that area.
> Win32 - NT (and Win2k?) has a separate API which accepts wchar_t of some
> (16-bit?) unicode type (there is some support for that already via
> ActiveState's tweaks to win32/*.[ch]. Linux seems to be just going to
> use UTF-8.
>
> >Perhaps a single (global?)
> >in-core stream set up to filter all filenames is a way to go?

Hmmm.  I would expect UTF-8-ness (or UTF-16-ness, for that matter) or
filenames to be a per-filesystem(-mount) property, otherwise having
non-Unicode-named and Unicode-named filesystems side by side would be
quite difficult.  "รค" (0xE4) is a perfectly fine filename is ISO Latin 1,
but malformation in UTF-8.

(Some months back I tried asking about this very aspect of Unicode usage
 in the unicode mailing list, to no much avail.)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen