Re: What was it layers were for again ?

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
November 28, 2000 13:13
Re: What was it layers were for again ?
Message ID:
E140s2h-00019U-00@roam1
Gisle Aas <gisle@ActiveState.com> writes:
>Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com> writes:
>
>> In the near term we need something to say "this stream provides/
>> accepts UTF-8", and we need to go through and make C code honour that.
>> But once that is done what else to we need to make UTF8 useful?
>
>Could these layers be applied to other system call interfaces perl
>has?  Anything that pass file names back and forth might need
>translation in/out of perl's chars.

True. But I don't yet have a feel for what is  "right" in that area.
Win32 - NT (and Win2k?) has a separate API which accepts wchar_t of some
(16-bit?) unicode type (there is some support for that already via
ActiveState's tweaks to win32/*.[ch]. Linux seems to be just going to
use UTF-8.

>Perhaps a single (global?)
>in-core stream set up to filter all filenames is a way to go?

Ah. cat "in-core streams" >> ToDo

--
Nick Ing-Simmons