What was it layers were for again ?

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
November 28, 2000 08:10
Subject:
What was it layers were for again ?
Message ID:
200011281609.QAA22436@mikado.tiuk.ti.com

Now that the snapping alligators are pacified we can get back to draining the
swamp.

That is - now that USE_PERLIO seems to be behaving itself (mostly) on
UNIX/Win32 - I/we can start using it to solve the problems for which
we wanted it.

So would anyone care to remind me what the Unicode issues were that we
want to solve?

In the near term we need something to say "this stream provides/
accepts UTF-8", and we need to go through and make C code honour that.
But once that is done what else to we need to make UTF8 useful?

(One grumbling alligator - on Win32 "text mode" files not only do CRLF->'\n'
but also treat ^Z as end-of-file - I have ignored ^Z so far - suggestions
as to what the "right" thing to do would be wellcome.)

--
Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com>
Via, but not speaking for: Texas Instruments Ltd.