Re: [ID 20001029.008] perl binary segfaults on following code

From:
sthoenna
Date:
November 24, 2000 12:36
Re: [ID 20001029.008] perl binary segfaults on following code
Message ID:
cKeH6gzkgypT092yn@efn.org
In article <200010300712.CAA01125@smackdown.pinpoint.com>,
Zac Hansen <hansen@smackdown.pinpoint.com> wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from hansen@smackdown.pinpoint.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.28 running under perl v5.6.0.
>
> the following code crashes my perl with a segfault
> (file: foo.pl)
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use foo;

> (file: foo.pm)
> sub foo
> {
>     sub ( $Self ) = @_;
>     my $Filename = "$Self->{'Name'} $Self->{'Folder'}";
> }
>
> the obvious bug here is the typo of 'my' with 'sub'.. I fixed this and it
> stopped segfaulting, but it seems like it's probably still a bug..

Still present at 5.7.0 + DEVEL7837.
Simpler case (assuming it is the same bug :) is:
./perl -e'sub=;"$a->{b} $a->{b}"'

> I'm curious as to just what the bug process is for PERL, I'm a professional
> C/C++ developer and would love to get a hand in on this in some (small) way,
> unless I'd just be mucking things up.

perl5-porters.  Followups to the mailing list also get added into the
bug's database entry.

Some people notice bugs in the list as they come up and take a stab at
fixing them.  Some people browse through the database looking for
things to fix.  Since a bug is not actually assigned to anyone in
particular, it may languish unnoticed for years.  Or it may be fixed
within minutes of receipt.

If you want to contribute to perl, following the perl5-porters mailing
list is advised.  For more info, see perlfaq1, perlhack,
Porting/patching.pod and elsewhere.