Re: [ID 20001114.001] use utf8;use charnames; is incorrect for \x{80}-\x{FF}

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
November 14, 2000 08:42
Re: [ID 20001114.001] use utf8;use charnames; is incorrect for \x{80}-\x{FF}
Message ID:
20001114104157.C5026@chaos.wustl.edu
> I found some references to chr's behaviour in the Changes file.  It seems
> that chr has been made to handle codes 128 .. 255, and that this change
> has been pulled out.  I can see reasons for this in terms of backwards
> compatibility, but this eval trick really is a bit ugly.  perhaps we need
> a widechr function?
>
> I'm rather concerned by what's happening with the utf-8 implementation. By
> trying to modify existing functions, while retaining compatibility with

Then you definitely should be working with the developer releases of Perl
(5.7.x, not 5.6.0).  A lot of utf8 changes/fixes have happened since 5.6.0.
Take a look at ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/snap/ for a browsable
directory of developer snapshots, and I suggest you join the developers
mailing list by sending an empty email to perl5-porters-subscribe@perl.org.
People using Unicode/utf8, in the other words, giving the respective
Perl code a run for its money are very important.

> use Data::Dumper;
> {
>   use utf8;
>   print Dumper