Assistance requested with threads and POSIX

From:
Kurt D. Starsinic
Date:
November 7, 2000 10:37
Subject:
Assistance requested with threads and POSIX
Message ID:
20001107133547.E27680@O2.chapin.edu
Hi all,

    I'm looking into a two-year-old bug, and I'm a little stumped right now.
Background:

    At least on certain systems (example below) with threads enabled,
lib/posix.t test 10 _never_ prints output if there's either a select()
_or_ a sleep() call in the SigHUP handler.  (Test 10 works fine if there's
a busy-loop in the SigHUP handler, though.)

    Can anybody suggest where the problem might be?  A high-level
explanation of what's different about signal handling in a threaded
perl vs. a non-threaded perl would be appreciated.

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 7 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=freebsd, osvers=4.1-release, archname=alpha-freebsd-thread-multi
    uname='freebsd ox.sri.net 4.1-release freebsd 4.1-release #0: thu jul 27 09:39:12 gmt 2000 root@beta.osd.bsdi.com:usrsrcsyscompilegeneric alpha '
    config_args='-Dusedevel -Dusethreads -des'
    usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define usemultiplicity=define
    useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=define use64bitall=define uselongdouble=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='cc', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include',
    optimize='-O',
    cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
    ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.2 19991024 (release)', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=8
    ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=n, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='cc', ldflags ='-pthread -Wl,-E  -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/lib /usr/local/lib
    libs=-lm -lc_r -lcrypt -lutil
    perllibs=-lm -lc_r -lcrypt -lutil
    libc=, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
    cccdlflags='-DPIC -fpic', lddlflags='-shared  -L/usr/local/lib'

    Peace,
* Kurt Starsinic (kstar@sri.net) ---------------- Senior Software Architect *
|       `People keep pretending they can make things deeply                 |
|        hierarchical, categorizable and sequential when they can't.        |
|        Everything is deeply intertwingled.' -- Ted Nelson                 |