develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2000

Breaking recursive magic (was Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?)

From:
Daniel Chetlin
Date:
October 2, 2000 14:03
Subject:
Breaking recursive magic (was Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?)
Message ID:
20001002140054.B1617@ilmd
On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 05:56:39PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 05:40:13PM +0100, Alan Burlison wrote:
> > Shouldn't tie magic be disabled when retrieving from the array
> > 'underneath' a tie?  Unless this is done, self-ties cannot ever work.
>
> That would stop A-tiedto-B-tiedto-C working, surely?
> [But is A-tiedto-B-tiedto-C desirable?]
>
> Is there anywhere for pp_tie to flag an object as active, so if you come
> back to it via a loop (A-tiedto-A or anything more complex) it doesn't
> use the tie method for a second (third (fourth (...))) trip?

This is the solution I'd like to see used for a chain of overloaded
objects that loops infinitely, as well. But I don't know how to do it
yet.

-dlc