develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2000

Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
October 2, 2000 11:28
Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?
Message ID:
39D8D3BD.D6A9F60E@uk.sun.com
Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Oct 2000 18:16:30 BST, Alan Burlison wrote:
> >Sorry - what I mean is that the code in pp_aelem specifically checks for
> >magic and then calls sv_mortalcopy only if the sv is magical.  If it is
> >not magical the call to sv_mortalcopy doesn't happen.
>
> Yes that's intentional, and the comment and test cases explain why.

Absolutely - so that localisation of tied values will work.

> >And a little guidance is likely to avoid wasted effort and frustration.
> >At the moment the only patch I'm likely to submit will croak if it
> >detects a self-tie.  Is this what is wanted?
>
> I'm avoiding making any statements about it one way or another, since
> I have no experience with self ties, and don't wish to make any
> proclamations about how they ought to work with my limited experience. :-)

Well, at the moment they don't work at all, and cause the interpreter to
dump core.  In my books that makes them a bug.

Alan Burlison