develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2000

Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
October 2, 2000 11:00
Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?
Message ID:
200010021758.KAA03763@smtp3.ActiveState.com
On Mon, 02 Oct 2000 18:16:30 BST, Alan Burlison wrote:
>Sorry - what I mean is that the code in pp_aelem specifically checks for
>magic and then calls sv_mortalcopy only if the sv is magical.  If it is
>not magical the call to sv_mortalcopy doesn't happen.

Yes that's intentional, and the comment and test cases explain why.

>And a little guidance is likely to avoid wasted effort and frustration.
>At the moment the only patch I'm likely to submit will croak if it
>detects a self-tie.  Is this what is wanted?

I'm avoiding making any statements about it one way or another, since
I have no experience with self ties, and don't wish to make any
proclamations about how they ought to work with my limited experience. :-)

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com