develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2000

Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
October 2, 2000 10:04
Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?
Message ID:
200010021702.KAA31448@smtp3.ActiveState.com
On Mon, 02 Oct 2000 17:40:13 BST, Alan Burlison wrote:
>Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:
>
>> I doubt that change#1307 is the problem--we call sv_mortalcopy() in
>> lots of other situations.
>
>Yes, but not where tied magic is involved.

How do you know?  sv_mortalcopy() is called *unconditionally* in lots
of places (when returning values from a subroutine, or in C<($x,@a) = @a>,
for instance).

>Shouldn't tie magic be disabled when retrieving from the array
>'underneath' a tie?  Unless this is done, self-ties cannot ever work.
>If self-ties are deemed to be unsupported, then pp_tie should detect and
>attemt to do so and croak.  That is certainly the easiest option.  I'm
>happy to have a crack at getting them to work correctly, but I'd need
>someone with a sufficiently pointy hat to make some suggestions as to
>how to do it.

Code always makes people talk. :-)

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com