develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2000

Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 2, 2000 09:56
Re: Did change 1307 (GSAR) break self ties?
Message ID:
20001002175639.A38649@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 05:40:13PM +0100, Alan Burlison wrote:
> Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:

> > IIRC, Chip did the work to support self-ties (prompted by Joshua's
> > reports, maybe).  I remember thinking at the time that the patch that
> > we added might not really support self-referential ties in general
> > (as opposed a variable tied to itself, in particular).  I'm not sure
> > about the details now, but it may have been something to do with
> > scenarios like A-tiedto-B-tiedto-C-tiedto...tiedto-A not working.
>
> Shouldn't tie magic be disabled when retrieving from the array
> 'underneath' a tie?  Unless this is done, self-ties cannot ever work.

That would stop A-tiedto-B-tiedto-C working, surely?
[But is A-tiedto-B-tiedto-C desirable?]

Is there anywhere for pp_tie to flag an object as active, so if you come
back to it via a loop (A-tiedto-A or anything more complex) it doesn't
use the tie method for a second (third (fourth (...))) trip?

Nicholas Clark