develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2000

Re: When did self-ties break?

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
October 2, 2000 06:52
Re: When did self-ties break?
Message ID:
39D89321.5DEE92F6@uk.sun.com
Mark Mielke wrote:

> I always thought one had to use either XS code, or use two AV's in pure perl,
> to perform a "self-tie" operation.
>
> Am I wrong?

Well, at the moment you can't self-tie in either XS or pureperl - the
failure symptoms are identical.  I believe it once worked - at least
there are references in the mail archives that imply that it once did.
If it is not supposed to work, pp_tie should at least detect it and
croak.  The way things stand at the moment it just recourses into la-la
land when you access a self-tied array.

--
Alan Burlison